Color-Indicates direct line-more information on other lines available Email
Generation No. 1
*1. PETER1 THOMAS1 was born 1734 in Bristol Parish, Prince George Co., VA ?, and died 1814 in Mecklenburg Co., VA2. He married MARY SIMS3.
Notes for PETER THOMAS:
Appears on 1782 Mecklenburg County Tax list:
Peter Thomas, Slaves listed: Mingo, Winney, Judy, Geo., Dinh, Will, Ned, Roger
(Lists white males over 21 and slaves names)
*Perhaps the Peter Thomas listed in Bristol Parish Records, baptized 1734, Prince George County VA
Child of Peter Thomas and Elizabeth (probably Winn-Wynne, Wynn though unknown at this time)
Appears on 1784, 1787 Mecklenburg County Tax Lists:
Peter Thomas, Will Thomas, David Thomas--
Winn Thomas, Slaves listed: Mingo, Winney, Judy, Geo. Dinh, Ned, James, Amy--
(Lists white males 16-21 in household and slaves names)
ESTATE: Appears in 1815 Directory of Landowners, Vol. 2 South Central Region, "Both sides of Great Creek" 17 miles E of County Court house. (Note: Courthouse in 1815 is in the area of "The Ridge". Great Creek is in South Eastern portion of Mecklenburg Co., VA and part of the Western corner of what is now Brunswick Co., VA--719 acres mentioned in Court Case-see below). Abstracted by Roger Ward.
Peter Thomas Estate Apprasial/Inventory Will Book 8, pp. 209, 446-448, April 26, 1815.
Children of Peter Thomas, from Mecklenburg County, VA Tax lists, Estate Papers, and Chancery Court Records.
Chancery Court, Mecklenburg Co., VA 1818-006
Mecklenburg Court, 17th April 1815
Wynn Thomas and John Thomas, heirs of Peter Thomas, Plaintiff
William Thomas Heir and administrator of Peter Thomas, decd., Elizabeth (Douglas) McKinney, Nancy Douglas, Catherine Douglas, Ezekiel Carrol and Patsey, his wife, Daniel Roddenberry and Milley, his wife, Isaac Carrol and Polley, his wife, Soloman S. Carrol and Frankey, his wife, which said Elizabeth McKinney, Nancy, Catherine, Patsey, Milley, Polley and Frankey are children of Milley Douglas, decd, formerly Milley Thomas and one of the daughters of Peter Thomas. Senior Douglas and Tabby Douglas infants and also children of the said Milley Douglas by their father and guardian Senior Douglas. Wesley Wright and Mary M. his wife, also Peter Pearson and Salley F. Pearson whisch said Mary M., Peter and Salley F. are children of Nancy Pearson decd. Who was also a daughter of Peter Thomas. Gray Pearson, Parchall Pearson, Littleberry Pearson, Nancy Pearson, and Avery Pearson infants and heirs of the said Nancy Pearson decd. By their guardian Drury Pearson.
This cause this day came to be heard on the bill and answering and arguments of Counsel. Whereupon it is ordered and decreed that James HARWELL, Senr, Henry WALKER, Wilson WALKER, Lewis WILLIAMS, and William EZELL or any three of them together with the county surveyor do divide the seven hunddren and nineteen acres of land in the bill mentioned of which Peter THOMAS died seized and prossessed into five equal parts and allot the same to the plaintiffs and defendants argreeable to their respective rights, to with. To William THOMAS the administrator, one share, Wynn THOMAS one share, John THOMAS one share, the heirs of Milley DOUGLASS one share, and the heirs of Nancy PEARSON one share. And it is further ordered that the said William THOMAS the administrator do deliver up the slaves in his possession belonging to the estate of his Intestate, and that the said commissioners do divide slaves also into five equal parts and allott their in the same in proportions as is above directed for the division of the land taking into consideration any advancements which may have been made by the Interstate to any of his children in his life time in which neither the interest of any money advanced, or the increase of any slaves advanced are to be considered, but the valuation thereof or any other property to be considered at the same it was worth at the time of advancement agreeable to the prayer of the bill and as the law directs. And make report thereof to the Court in order to a final decree.
At another Court held for the said County the 19th day of June 1815. By consent of parties by their attorneys it is ordered that the Interlocutory decree made in this said the 17th day of April 1815 be amended in this to with that the commissioners mentioned in that decree together with Edward TRAVIS and Grif HARWELL who are appointed additional Commissioners or any three of them do make sale in a credit of twelve moths of the land and Slaves belonging to the representatives of Milley Douglas decd. and also of the land and slaves belonging to the representatives of Nancy Pearson decd. therefore sharers giving bond and approved security for the payment of the purchase money. It appearing to the court that the land will not be worth one hundred dollars to each distributors and that the slaves from their nature cannot be specifically divided and that they report the same to the Court that a final decree may be made.
Notes for MARY SIMS: (I have found no documentation for this as yet)
From Charlotte Pearson Armstrong
Children of PETER THOMAS and MARY SIMS are:
2. i.DAVID W.2 THOMAS, b. Bet. 1763 - 1768, Bristol Parish, Prince George Co., VA; d. April 1842, Mecklenburg Co., VA. Upon further investigation I no longer believe David Winn Thomas is the son of Peter Thomas. I do not know his relationship to Peter. Further studies of records are strongly contraficting that despite the continued referencing of David Winn Thomas as the son of Peter Thomas of Mecklenburg Co., VA is incorrect. ii.WYNN THOMAS, b. Bet. 1763 - 1768. iii.WILLIAM THOMAS, b. Bet. 1763 - 1768. iv.JOHN THOMAS, b. Aft. 1768. 3. v.MILLEY THOMAS, d. Bef. 1815, Mecklenburg Co., VA. vi.MARY NANCY THOMAS4, d. Bef. 1815; m. LITTLEBERRY PEARSON, December 01, 1786, Mecklenburg Co., VA.
Generation No. 2
2. DAVID W.2 THOMAS was born Bet. 1763 - 1768 in Bristol Parish, Prince George Co., VA, and died April 1842 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. He married REBECCA BROOKS December 24, 1790 in Mecklenburg Co., VA6. She was born Abt. 1760 in VA, and died Aft. 1842 in Mecklenburg Co., VA.
(I will do the known descendants of David here, though at this time I no longer believe he is the son of Peter Thomas and I do not know who his parents might have been. )
Notes for DAVID W.THOMAS:
A David Thomas is listed on the Mecklenburg County, VA tax list, 1784 in household of Peter Thomas, as male between 16-21 years of age.
Appears in the 1815 Directory of Landowners, Vol. 2, South Central Region, abstracted by Roger Ward.
Brunswick County, VA, Black's Road and Poplar Creek, 20 South of County Courthouse-most SW corner of Brunswick Co., VA. (Courthouse location in 1815, Main Street, Lawrenceville, VA) (NOTE: Poplar's Creek is part of Great Creek -Mecklenburg Co. and most of Poplar Creek is in most SE corner of Mecklenburg Co., VA)
Mecklenburg County, Will Book 15 p. 437
Will of David Thomas
I David Thomas of the County of Mecklenburg and State of Virginia, being of sound mind and------ ----- --- make and ordain that my last will and testement, setting aside all wills made by me heretofore, in------ and forms as follows (viz)
1) I wish all my just debts to be fully--------by any lawful executors herein after mentioned and after the payment of any of my just debts is fully discharged, my will and desire is that the residue of my estate be disposed in the following manner
2) I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife REBECCA (BROOKS) THOMAS the following property (viz) neg Grandison and a negro woman Tempy, all my land, her choice of stock of every description, household and kitchen furniture, plantation utensils, also the crop that may be on hand or so much as she may wish.
3) I give and bequeath to my son ALLEN THOMAS a negro Dianah and a boy named Mansfield to him and his heirs forever.
4) I give and bequeath unto my son BENNETT THOMAS two negros by name Jack and Kitty to him and his heirs forever.
5) I give and bequeath to the surviving heirs of my son CHARLES THOMAS by his first wife, two negros Sarah and Ben to them and their heirs forever and also the residue of my estate shall also go to the said heirs.
6) I give and bequeath to my son STITH THOMAS two negros Harriet and Jim to him and his heirs forever.
7) I give and bequeath to my daughter JANE LAMBERT two negros Winny and Washington to her and hers heirs forever, my further desire is in case that my Grandson Green J Thomas the son of my daughter Jane Lambert not a lawful issue of her body that in case that he should not secure two hundred dollars of the 200 hundred dollars all ready given said daughter, that the said Grandson Green J Thomas may be-------to said daughter. That the said Grandson shall never the above mentioned two hundred dollars out of her last portion that may be ------to her and their heirs forever.
8) I give and bequeath to my son ROBERT THOMAS two negros Hartwell and Sally to him an his heirs forever.
9) I give and bequeath to my son LEONARD THOMAS two negros Albert and Cyntha to him and his heirs forever.
10) I give and bequeath to my son DAVID W. THOMAS two negros Lewis and Pebe? To him and his heirs forever.
11) I give and bequeath to my son JOHN J THOMAS the following property (viz) two negro girls named Minty and Mary, one negro boy named Hinton and further my will and desire that after the death of my wife REBECCA that my son shall take the within named land in use to her during her life at the price the commissioners or appraisers may value it at, by giving his------ to my executor or executors for one hundred and fifty dollars per year or so much as will make up to their valuation without interest.
The deed to be made by my executor or executors to him the said JOHN J THOMAS to him and his heirs forever, provided---will take the same at their appraisment if not to be sold and the proceeds equally divided among all the within named children.
12) My will and desire is that all the residue of my estate both real and------------------------------------, not herein not mentioned specially named by me to be sold and the proceeds therefore to be equally divided among all my living children and in case of their death to go to their heirs forever (except my son CHARLES his portion to the heirs of his first wife and their heirs forever.
13) I nominate and appoint my son DAVID W. THOMAS and my son JOHN J THOMAS and in case of their death my friend AC Dugger, executors to this my last will and testement. Given under my hand and seal this day 18 of February 1841.
David (x) Thomas
Signed, sealed and delivered in presence of witness:
James L. Wright
Wiley G. Jones
At the court held for Mecklenburg County at the courthouse thereof on the 18th day of April 1842
The forgoing will and testement of DAVID THOMAS decd was this day produced in court and proven by the oaths of Wiley G. Jones and Benjamin Childress, two of the subscribing witness th--?-t and named to be recorded. And on motion of DAVID W. THOMAS one of the executors therein named who made oath th--?-t and together with Johnathan B. Northington and Samuel H. Goode his securities entered into and acknowledge therein bond in the penalty of $200.00 dollars conditioned according to Law certificate is granted him for obtaining a probat there of in one form------------? ---(?Liberty?) is named to join said probat when he may think fit.
Teste R.B. Baptist (clerk)
Written in margin of book which could not be fully read from microfilm
A motion by John J. Thomas on September 24, 1846, with oaths Robert Jones and Stith Thomas-set bond of $200.00 for obtaining probat.?
More About DAVID WINN THOMAS:
Will: February 18, 1841, Mecklenburg Co., VA, WB 15, p. 437
Children of DAVID THOMAS and REBECCA BROOKS are:
4.i.JANE3 THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800, VA; d. 1870, Mecklenburg Co., VA. ii.ALLEN THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800; m. LEODOCIA SHELL, September 07, 1805, Brunswick Co., VA. iii.CHARLES THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800. iv.JOHN J. THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800. 5.v.LEONARD THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800, Mecklenburg Co., VA; d. 1843, Mecklenburg Co., VA. vi. DAVID WADE THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800. vii.BENNETT THOMAS, b. Bet. 1790 - 1800. viii. STITH THOMAS, b. Abt. 1794. ix. ROBERT W. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1797.
3. MILLEY2 THOMAS (PETER1)7 died Bef. 1815 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She married SENIOR DOUGLAS.
Children of MILLEY THOMAS and SENIOR DOUGLAS are:
i.ELIZABETH3 DOUGLAS7. ii.NANCY DOUGLAS7. iii.CATHERINE DOUGLAS7. iv.PATSEY DOUGLAS7. v.MILLEY DOUGLAS. vi.POLLEY DOUGLAS7. vii.FRANKEY DOUGLAS7. viii.SENIOR DOUGLAS7. ix.TABITHA "TABBY" DOUGLAS7.
Generation No. 3
4. JANE3 THOMAS (DAVID W.2, PETER1) was born Bet. 1790 - 1800 in VA, and died 1870 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She met (1) UNKNOWN Bef. 1815 in VA. She married (2) JULIUS LAMBERT Abt. January 12, 1815 in Warren Co., NC. He was born 1775 in Mecklenburg Co., VA/Warren Co., NC, and died Bef. 1850 in Mecklenburg Co., VA.
Child of JANE THOMAS and UNKNOWN is:
i.GREEN J.4 THOMAS, b. Bef. 1815.
Children of JANE THOMAS and JULIUS LAMBERT are:
ii.ELIZABETH L.4 LAMBERT, b. 1816. iii.MARY BRAMBLY LAMBERT, b. 1819. iv.JANE LAMBERT, b. 1820.
5. LEONARD3 THOMAS (DAVID W.2) was born Bet. 1790 - 1800 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died 1843 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. He married TINSEY WINN THOMAS November 03, 1824 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She was born Abt. 1800 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died May 18, 1878 in Mecklenburg Co., VA.
Notes for LEONARD THOMAS:
Will list wife: Tinsey W. Thomas
David W. Thomas, brother as exec
Administer of estate was transferred to Robert W. Thomas
More About LEONARD THOMAS:
Will: 1843, Mecklenburg Co., VA Will book 15 p. 472
Notes for TINSEY WINN THOMAS:
(Though I believe Tinsey Winn Thomas is cousin of Leonard, I have yet to find documentation as to who her parents may be)
Mecklenburg Co., VA Death register, 1878
May 18, 1878, TW Thomas, cause of death-burned, reported by FJ Ellis, son-in-law.
Children of LEONARD THOMAS and TINSEY THOMAS are:
6.i.ROBERT MASSENBURG4 THOMAS, b. Abt. 1825, Mecklenburg Co., VA; d. Abt. 1893, Mecklenburg Co., VA. ii.RHODA ROSA ANN THOMAS, b. Abt. 1830; m. JOHN J. D. PEARSON, November 26, 1846, Brunswick Co., VA. 7.iii.SARAH E. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1834, Mecklenburg Co., VA. iv.JANE B. THOMAS8, b. Abt. 1838.
Generation No. 4
6. ROBERT MASSENBURG4 THOMAS (LEONARD3, DAVID W.2)9,10 was born Abt. 1825 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died Abt. 1893 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. He married (1) JULIA ANN KIDD10,11, daughter of JOHN KIDD and ELIZABETH RAINEY. She was born March 12, 1820 in VA, and died December 09, 1879 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. He married (2) ANN C. WINN May 31, 1883 in Meclenburg Co., Va12.
ROBERT MASSENBURG THOMAS:
Will of RM Thomas, 1891 Mecklenburg Co., VA
Short, leaves everything to wife Nancy C. Thomas, (also Nannie C. Thomas or Anne C. Thomas)
In 1850 census, 98 Regt. pg. 60, Mecklenburg, Co., VA.
36 198 198 THOMAS Robert M. 25 M LaborerVA 37 198 198 THOMAS Julia Ann 28 FVA 38 198 198 THOMAS John 3 MVA 39 198 198 THOMAS William 2 MVA 40 199 199 KIDD Edward 26 M Grocery KeeperVA
In the 1860 Mecklenburg Co., VA, Meherain Parish, pg. 617 line 16
Robert M. Thomas35 MRough CarpenterVA
In the 1870 census Robert M. Thomas is listed as Massenburg Thomas. South Hill Townships, Mecklenburg Co., VA, pg.449b line 20.
Massenburg Thomas50 MFarmerVA
In the 1880 census, Mecklenburg Co., VA Vo. 21, Enum. Dist. 149 Sheet 6 line 21
R. M. Thomas56 M Head Farmer, WidowerVA Dolly J. Thomas 22 F Dau At HomeVA Catherine Thomas20 F Dau At HomeVA Oliver Thomas 7 M Gson VA
In the 1880 census
ROBERT MASSENBURG THOMAS:
Will: December 23, 1891, Mecklenburg Co., VA Will book 23 p. 400
JULIA ANN KIDD: Also Juley Ann Kidd
Mecklenburg Co., VA Death Register, 1879
Julia Ann Thomas, Dec 9, 1879, age 58, daughter of Jna and E. M. Kidd. Cause of death unknown.
Reported by husband: R. M. Thomas
Chancery Court Case 1862 which included copy of Will of John B. Kidd
Will of John B. Kidd
In the name of God, Amen, I, John B. Kidd of the county of Mecklenburg and the state of Virginia make this my last will and testament.
I give to my wife Betsy M. Kidd on third of my estate during her life and which part at her death I wish equally divided between my children. The balance of my estate I wish to be divided at my death equally between all my children with the exception of my daughter Julia Thomas and Elizabeth Hall each of which I wish to have one hundred dollars more that the rest of my children, the children of my son Bartlett M. Kidd I wish to have the same amount their Father would have been entitled to if he were living, that is an equal part with the rest of my children with the exception of the two daughters above named. The property I give to my daughters I give to them during their life and at their death to go to their children. I leave P. M King my Executor to manage my estate as witness my hand and seal this 12 day of June 1862.
John B. Kidd (seal)
Mecklenburg County Court September 16th 1862.
The foregoing last will and testament of John B. Kidd late of this county deceased was this day fully proved by the oaths of James Matthews and Peter King, two of the subscribing witnesses thereto and was there upon ordered to be recorded. And in the motion of P.M. King the only executor named in the said will who made oath as the law directs and entered into a bond in the penalty of twenty thousand dollars (considered) according to the Law with George L. Hayes and John W. King his securities therein (who justified on oath to us to their sufficiency and which said bond bring acknowledge by the obligees therein is ordered to me recorded.) certificate is granted the said PM King for obtaining a probate of the said will in (---) form.
Teste R.F. Clack, clk
A copy Teste R.F.Clack
Mecklenburg County Court Oct.20, 1862 Court Decree
EM Kidd vs JB Kidd's exc. In Chancery
On motion of the plaintiffs by their council the Court both assign R. R. Clack guardian ad litem for the infant defendants Chars W. Kidd, Geo. W. Kidd, John J. Kidd, Saml W. Kidd and Elizabeth A. B. Kidd, where upon this cause was this day dockets by consent of parties and by like consent came on to be heard on the bill answers and exhibits and was argued by Council; On consideration where of the Court doth adjudge order and decree that John R. Cole, Chars G Turner, John W. King, E. H. Riggan and L. J. Rose who are hereby appointed special Commissioners for that purpose with power in any for that purpose, do with the assistance of then to act do with the assistance of some competent surveyor lay by (meets?) and boundary, off on third part in value of the lands in the ??----mentioned, of which the late John B. Kidd decd seized and poss??? and assign the same to his widow Elizabeth M. Kidd for life; and the residue there of they divide in nine equal parts in value and assign by lot one ninth part there of to Archie Cannon and Rebecca J., his wife, one ninth part to Robert M. Thomas and Julia A., his wife, one ninth part to Miles Hall and Elizabeth , his wife, one ninth to Marry F. Dugger , one ninth part to Edward R. Kidd, one ninth part to Allen B. Kidd, on ninth part to Wm F. Kidd and one ninth part to Charles W., George W. John H., Samuel W. and Elizabeth A. B. Kidd, infant children of Bartlett Kidd Deceased- and the Court doth order that the same commissioners do divide the slaves in the proceedings mentioned owned by the late John B. Kidd into three equal parts in value and assign one third part there of to Elizabeth M. Kidd widow of John B. Kidd, for life and deliver the remaining two thirds to Peter M. King who is hereby appointed a Special Commissioner for that purpose do after having first advertised the time and place of sale for at least fifteen days, sell the same at public auction enough for cash to pay the costs of this suit and the execution of this decree and the residue on a credit of six months taking bonds with good security of the purchasers be assign interest from the day of sale, but that he shall not receive any money under this decree until he shall execute bond with good security in the penalty of $10,000either before this Court or the Clerk in this office conditioned for the faithful discharge of his duties as commissionerAnd the Court doth further order and decree that the commissioners do report their proceedings under this order to the Court.
Appearing to the Court that the adults in this cause wish a sale of the residue of the slaves and that it will be to the interest of the ??? that they should be sold doth order that the said commissioners.
Mecklenburg County Court June 15th 1863
EM Kidd vs JB Kidd's exec In Chancery
This cause came on again this day to be further heard in the papers formerly read and the further report of commissioner Peter M. King which report being approved. The Court doth confirm the same and was argued by Council: on consideration whereof it appearing to the Court that the infant children of Bartlett M. Kidd, to wit, Charles W., George W., Jno (John) J., Samuel W., and Elizabeth A.B. Kidd are entitled to the sum of $617.85 jointly. That Rebecca J. (Kidd) Cannon is entitled to the interest on 599.86. That Julia A. (Kidd) Thomas is entitled to the interest on $599.86. That Aramintha D. (Kidd) Glover is entitled to the interest on the like sum of $599.86. And that Mary F. (Kidd) Dugger is entitled to the interest on $599.86. And the said commissioner Peter M. King having brought into Court these several amounts of money, The Court doth adjudge order and decree that the same commissioner do loan out the same if he can and take bonds with good security for the same and return them to the Court- and the Court doth further adjudge that if the comr. cannot loan out this money in some reasonable time that he shall invest the said several sums of money, either in Confederate or State Stock, and return the scripe for the same to the Court- And the Court doth further order that the guardian the above named infants. When one shall have been appointed shall leave power to draw the interest that shall accrue on their part annually or semi annually and that the other named parties, to wit, Rebecca J. Cannon, Julia A. Thomas, Armintha D. Glover and Mary F. Dugger shall here the like power to draw the interest in like manner on their respective amounts- but shall not have any power to draw the principal.
Teste R.F. Clack, Clk
Decree 1863 Court Intery? Decree
Peter M. King commissioner for the benefit of the orphans:
Of Bartlett M. Kidd $617.85 For Rebecca J. Cannon$599.86 For Julia A. Thomas$599.86 For Araminter D. Glover $599.86 For Mary F. Glover $599.86
Awarded to WB to invest $3017.60
Bonds $600.00 each.
Chancery Court 286
Kidd Vs Kidd
Bill and Answers
1862 Oct Court Bill and ans. filed + Intery Decree
1872 Ans? & Dismissed under 7 years ruling
To the worshipful Justice of the County Court of Mecklenburg County. Your complainants Eliza M. Kidd, Archie Cannon and Rebecca J. his wife, Robert M. Thomas and Julia A., his wife. Miles Hall and Elizabeth, his wife, Araminta D. Glover and Mary F. Dugger, respectfully represent unto your worships that John B. Kidd of the County of Mecklenburg has recently departed this life having first made and published his last will and testament which has been duly admitted to probat in this Court. That Peter M. King the executor therein named and appointed has as such qualified upon the estate and executed bond with security. That the testator by his last will devised to the Compt. Eliza. M. Kidd, his wife one third part of his estate for life and the residue of his estate the devised equally among all his children (directing that the children of his deceased son Bartlett M. Kidd should be entitled to the share of their father except that the Compts. Julia Thomas and Elizabeth Hall should have one hundred dollars each more than his other children, which will more fully appear from a copy of the will herewith filed (marked A) and asked to be taken as a part of this bill. The testator died seized and possessed of considerable real and personal estate; leaving some thirteen slaves and about thirteen hundred acres of land, with some small perishable estates. Your complainants ate not fully advised whether or not it will require a sale of any of the slaves to pay debts of the testator but they do not suppose that he is much involved and that it will require any of them to pay debts and therefore they ask for a division of the land and slaves as directed by the will of the testator. Your compts. Further state that the parties entitled to distribution under the will of the testator are your compts. And Edward R. Kidd, William F. Kidd, Allen B. Kidd and the children of Bartlett Kidd, five in number, to wit, Chas W. Kidd, George W. Kidd, John J. Kidd, Saml W. Kidd and Eliza A. B. Kidd. In consideration of the premines?? And as your compts are without remedy except in this Court where matters of this kind are only cognizable they preay that the said Ed. R., Wm F., Allen., George W., Chas W., John J., Saml W., and Eliza A.B. Kidd and Peter M. King exr. of John B. Kidd be made parties defendants to this suit and be required to answer the allegations herein contained they further pray that your worships will decree one third of the land and slaves in kind be assigned to the plff. Eliza. M. Kidd for life and the residue of the land be divided in kind and assigned to the parties according to their respective rights and that the residue of the slaves be sold and the proceeds thereof be divided among the parties according to their respective rights. And Your Compts further pray that your worships will grant unto them such other and general relief as may be fit and proper in a court of equity and they will ever pray thee.
The joint answer of Edward R. Kidd, Allen B. Kidd, and Wm F. Kidd to a bill exhibited against them and others in the County Court of Mecklenburg by Eliza M. Kidd and others. These respondents saving and? For answer to so much of said bill as they and advided. It is material for them to answer say they have no abjection to a division of the land and slaves belonging to the estate of the testator John B. Kidd among the parties thereto entitled there respondents having fully answered prays to be hence dismissed.
The answer of Chars W., George W., John J., Saml. W. and Eliza A.B. Kidd infant children of Bartlett Kidd by R.F. Clack their guardian ad litem to a bill exhibited in the County Court of Mecklenburg against them and others by Eliza M. Kidd and others. This respondent saving and C. for answers. Says that he knows nothing of the facts as stated in the bill and submits the interest of these infants to the protection of the protection of the Court. This respondent having fully answered prays to be hence dismissed.
Notes for ANN C. WINN:
Also Anne, Nannie
Children of ROBERT THOMAS and JULIA KIDD are:
8.i.JOHN LEE5 THOMAS, b. September 1847, Mecklenburg Co., VA; d. 1918, Brunswick Co., VA. 9.ii.WILLIAM H. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1848, Mecklenburg Co., VA; d. September 06, 1879, VA. 10.iii.SARAH A. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1854, Mecklenburg Co., VA. iv.DOLLY J. THOMAS, b. Abt. 1856, Mecklenburg Co., VA. v.CATHERINE THOMAS, b. Abt. 1859, Mecklenburg Co., VA.
7. SARAH E.4 THOMAS (LEONARD3, DAVID W.2) was born Abt. 1834 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She married (1) JOHN J. TUDOR December 08, 1850 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, son of JOHN TUDOR and LUCY FREEMAN. He was born Aft. 1824 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died Bef. 1855 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She married (2) FRANCIS J. ELLIS November 21, 1855 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. He was born Abt. 1830 in Mecklenburg Co., VA.
Notes for SARAH E. THOMAS:
Sarah E. married again on November 21, 1855 to Francis J. Ellis. At present I have in Mecklenburg Co., VA Death register for 1855, death of child (age not given) named J J V Tutor, reported by grandmother T W Thomas. This is the only record of any children that Sarah Thomas and John Tudor may have had.
Children of SARAH THOMAS and FRANCIS ELLIS are:
11.i.LUCY T.5 ELLIS, b. Abt. 1856, VA; d. Aft. 1910, VA. ii.MARY F. ELLIS, b. Abt. 1859. iii.JOHN ELLIS, b. Abt. 1861. iv.WILLIAM H. ELLIS, b. Abt. 1866. v.BENJAMIN ELLIS, b. June 1868.
Generation No. 5
8. JOHN LEE5 THOMAS (ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID W.2,)14 was born September 1847 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died 1918 in Brunswick Co., VA. He married (1) MARY J. FITTS14 Abt. 1871 in VA, daughter of WILLIAM FITTS and MARY TUDOR. She was born April 23, 1849 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died March 27, 1907 in Brunswick Co., VA15. He married (2) LYDA JOLLY Aft. 1907 in Brunswick Co., VA. She was born 1866, and died 1947.
Mecklenburg Co., VA South Hill District: Dist 21 Enumeration Dist.
149, page 6, line 30 1880 VA Census. Also note that Sue Fitts aged 22
living in Thomas Household. Sister-in-law.
Brunswick Co., VA 1900 Federal Census Vol. 8, Ed. 15, sheet 12, line
Records gathered from tombstones in MT. Carmel Methodist Church Cemetery in Brunswick Co., VA by James H. Thomas Sr.
The 1900 Federal Census Vol.8; ed; 15; sheet 12; line 92, for Sturgeon District Brunswick Co., VA.
Birth Register for Brunswick Co., VA
JOHN LEE THOMAS: Burial: 1918, Mt Carmel Meth Ch Bruswick Co., Va.
Event: 1900, Brunswick Co., VA15
MARY J. FITTS:
Burial: 1907, Mt Carmel Meth Ch Brunswick Co., Va.
Chancery Court Records Mecklenburg County
Involving children of Mary J. Tutor Fitts
To his Honor John w. King Judge of the County Court of Mecklenburg. Your complainants ELIZABETH TUTOR, GEORGE KING AND ELIZABETH his wife, JOHN T. WALKER and JULIA A. his wife, SAMUEL A. TUTOR, SARAH C. FLOYD and ANNIE B. TUTOR respectfully represent unto your honor that John G. Tutor lately departed this life intestate leaving your complainant ELIZABETH TUTOR, his widow and ELIZABETH KING, JULIA A. WALKER, SAMUEL A. TUDOR, SARAH C. FLOYD and ANNIE B. TUDOR his children surviving him, who together with CHARLES L.(?) TUTOR an infant son of WILLIAM TUTOR, decd. Son of the intestate and LUCY FITZ, JOHN E. FITTS, MARY FITTS, SUSAN FITZ, ROBT FITZ and MARITHA FITZ, infant children MARY E. FITZ (formerly Tutor), a deceased daughter of the intestate, his heirs and distributes (?) as law. The intestate left a small personal estate, administration of which was by an order of this court, committed to A.H. BRACEY and which it is believed to be sufficient to par the debts and liabilities of the intestate.
The intestate at the time of his death was sized and processed of 430 acres of land lying in this county on which he resided and in which your complainant ELIZABETH TUTOR is entitled to dower, and the other heirs to their distributable parts and your complainant, wishing the dower assigned and the lands divided and bring receivable only in a court of equity, pray that A.H. BRACY, adm(?) s appraised, CHARLES A. TUTOR, LUCY FITZ, JOHN E. FITZ, MARY FITZ, SUSAN FITZ, ROBERT FITZ, and MARTHA FITZ, all of whom are infants, may be made parties defendant in this suit and be required to answer the allegations herein contained,
That a guardian ad litem (?) may be made to answer for the infant defendants and decree that the dower be assigned to your complainant ELIZABETH TUTOR and the residue of the lands be divided among the parties according to their several rights and grant your complainants such other and further -------in the premises as in equity they are entitled to and they will ever pray.
Goode ? Baskervill for complaints
Mecklenburg County Court 16th day January 1871.
ELIZABETH TUTOR, GEORGE KING and ELIZABETH his wife plaintiffs
Lucy Fitz Defendant
ON MOTION OF THE Plff RF Clark (though looks more like Clack) is appointed guardian 'ad litem' of the infants defendants and filed their answer to which the Plffs reply generally and this cause came on this day by consent of the parties to be heard on the bill and answers and was argued by council. On consideration where of the court doth adjude order and decree. That AH SHAW, JR BANNER, JR COLE AND AG BOYD and ZACKARIAH JONES or any three of them who ate hereby appointed commissioners for that purpose, do with the assistance of some competent Surveyor lay off and assign to ELIZABETH TUTOR one third in value having due ------ to quality and quantity of the lands of which the late JOHN TUTOR her husband died seiged (?) and possessed to be held as her dower, and that they divide the residue of the said lands into seven lots or parcels of equal value and allot and assign one lot to GEORGE KING and ELIZABETH his wife, one to JOHN T. WALKER and JULIA A. his wife, one to SAMUEL A. TUTOR, one to SARAH C. FLOYD, one to ANNIE B. TUTOR and one to CHARLES A. TUTOR and if capable of division they divided the remaining lot or parcel into six parts of equal value and assign one to each to each of the infant defendants LUCY FITZ, JOHN E. FITZ, MARY FITZ, SUSAN FITZ, ROBERT FITZ AND MARITHA FITZ and report to this court.
A copy test
Rutledge R. Hughes clerk.
Burial: 1947, Mt Carmel Meth Ch Brunswick Co., Va.
Children of JOHN THOMAS and MARY FITTS are:
i.WILLIAM L.6 THOMAS16, b. November 23, 1871, Brunswick Co., VA17.
Notes for WILLIAM L. THOMAS:
Listed twice in the Mecklencurg County Birth Index (Or two different persons)
page 180 as Wm L. to J. L. and Mary Thomas, November 23, 1871
and Page 184 as Wm L. to J. L. and Mary Thomas, November 23, 1874
Brunswick Co., VA Death Register, 1893
Wm. L. Thomas, November 1893 of Fever at age 22. Listed as born in Brunswick County VA
Reported by J. L. Thomas, Father
ii.MARY E. THOMAS18, b. April 1874, Brunswick Co., VA19. iii.ROBERT E. THOMAS20, b. April 15, 1877, Brunswick Co., VA21; m. MARY A. TAYLOR; b. May 1877, VA.
Notes for ROBERT E. THOMAS:
Listed as Robert E. Taylor Thomas in Mecklenburg Co., VA birth register, 285, born April 15, 1877.
1900 census lists birth date as January 1877.
More About ROBERT E. THOMAS:
Residence: 1962, Richmond, VA
12.iv.JOHN HENRY THOMAS, b. December 26, 1879, Mecklenburg Co., VA; d. June 05, 1962, Winston-Salem, NC. v.PRICE M. THOMAS22,23, b. October 1881, Mecklenburg Co., VA24. vi.PERCY JAMES THOMAS, b. Abt. 1884, Mecklenburg Co., VA; d. December 20, 1889, Brunswick Co., VA25.
Notes for PERCY JAMES THOMAS:
Brunswick Co., VA Death Register 1861-1896
Percy Jas. December 20, 1889, age 5 yrs, born in Mecklenburg Co., VA. Died of Billious Fever/Chills
Reported by Mary J. Thomas, Mother
vii.ANNIE O. THOMAS26,27, b. June 1887, Mecklenburg Co., VA28. viii.ARTHUR L. THOMAS29,30, b. July 07, 1892, Brunswick Co., VA31; d. November 1969, Youngs Island, SC.
9. WILLIAM H.5 THOMAS (ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID WINN2) was born Abt. 1848 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died September 06, 1879 in VA. He married LUCY T. ELLIS December 23, 1874 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, daughter of FRANCIS ELLIS and SARAH THOMAS. She was born Abt. 1856 in VA, and died Aft. 1910 in VA.
Notes for LUCY T. ELLIS:
Found a Lucy Thomas living in Norfolk, VA listed with Carl Thomas age 6, grandson
049 009 000 97
Could this be Carl Thomas that James H. Thomas Sr. visited as child???
Marriage Notes for WILLIAM THOMAS and LUCY ELLIS:
Mecklenburg Co., VA Marrige Register, 1874, pg. 176
W. H. Thomas to L. T. Ellis, December 23, 1874, by T M Beckham
Son of R. M. and J. Thomas
Daughter of F. J. and S. Ellis (Fred J. and Sarah) (Note Sarah Thomas Ellis is daughter of Leonard and Tinsey W. Thomas)
Child of WILLIAM THOMAS and LUCY ELLIS is:
i.F. H.6 THOMAS, b. August 13, 1876.
Notes for F. H. THOMAS:
Mecklenburg Co., VA 1876 Birth Index, pg. 288
Son of WH and Lucy Thomas.
10. SARAH A.5 THOMAS (ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID W.2) was born Abt. 1854 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She met (1) UNKNOWN Bef. 1874 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. She married (2) ROBERT MITCHELL February 13, 1876 in Mecklenburg Co., VA. He was born Abt. 1856.
Notes for ROBERT MITCHELL:
Robert and Sarah were married after the birth of Oliver. Oliver's father is unknown.
Marriage Notes for SARAH THOMAS and ROBERT MITCHELL:
Mecklenburg Co., VA Marriage Register, 1876
S. A. Thomas, age 24 to Robert Mitchell, age 19, by Thomas H. Briggs
Daughter of M. and Julia Thomas
Son of J. and Emily Mitchell
Child of SARAH THOMAS and UNKNOWN is:
13.i.OLIVER6 THOMAS, b. March 30, 1874.
11. LUCY T.5 ELLIS (SARAH E.4 THOMAS, LEONARD3, DAVID W.2) was born Abt. 1856 in VA, and died Aft. 1910 in VA. She married WILLIAM H. THOMAS December 23, 1874 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, son of ROBERT THOMAS and JULIA KIDD. He was born Abt. 1848 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died September 06, 1879 in VA.
Marriage Notes for LUCY ELLIS and WILLIAM THOMAS:
Mecklenburg Co., VA Marrige Register, 1874, pg. 176
W. H. Thomas to L. T. Ellis, December 23, 1874, by T M Beckham
Son of R. M. and J. Thomas
Daughter of F. J. and S. Ellis (Fred J. and Sarah)
(this will have to be revised, new information on Lucy Ellis)
Child is listed above under (9) William H. Thomas.
Generation No. 6
12. JOHN HENRY6 THOMAS (JOHN LEE5, ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID WINN2)32 was born December 26, 1879 in Mecklenburg Co., VA33, and died June 05, 1962 in Winston-Salem, NC. He married LAURA L. CUMBIE April 06, 1907 in Brunswick Co., VA, daughter of JOHN CUMBIE and WINNIFRED THOMPSON. She was born February 25, 1889 in Greensville Co., VA, and died June 01, 1964 in Winston-Salem, NC.
JOHN HENRY THOMAS: Burial: 1962, Home Moravian Church, W-Salem, NC
LAURA L. CUMBIE: Burial: 1964, Home Moravian Church, W-Salem, NC
Children of JOHN THOMAS and LAURA CUMBIE are:
14.i.PERCY NORRIS7 THOMAS, b. May 24, 1908, Brunswick Co., VA; d. November 1953, Dade, Co., Fl. 15.ii.ANNIE LAURA THOMAS, b. August 08, 1912, Lenoir Co., NC; d. October 11, 1974, Forsyth Co., NC. iii.JOHN HENRY THOMAS, JR., b. February 20, 1918, Bunn, NC; d. October 27, 1968.
Notes for JOHN HENRY THOMAS, JR.:
Burial: 1968, Home Moravian Church, W-Salem, NC
13. OLIVER6 THOMAS (SARAH A.5, ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID W.2) was born March 30, 1874. He married LUCY UNKNOWN. She was born Abt. 1881 in VA.
Notes for OLIVER THOMAS:
Mecklenburg Co., VA 1874, Birth Index, pg. 224
Oliver Thomas to _______ and S. A. Thomas, March 30, 1874
Children of OLIVER THOMAS and LUCY UNKNOWN are:
i.FERRULL7 THOMAS, b. 1899. ii.CLARENCE THOMAS, b. 1908.
Generation No. 7
14. PERCY NORRIS7 THOMAS (JOHN HENRY6, JOHN LEE5, ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID W.2) was born May 24, 1908 in Brunswick Co., VA, and died November 1953 in Dade, Co., Fl. He married (1) Pauline Camilla Jester in Virginia. She was born September 20,1913 and died July 15, 2005. He married (2) LIVING INDIVIDUAL 1944.
Notes for PERCY NORRIS THOMAS:
Changed name to Norris Preston Thomas prior to his marriages.
Burial: 1953, Miami, Fl
Children of PERCY THOMAS and LIVING INDIVIDUAL are:
i.Living individual. ii.James Harry Thomas, b.October 9 1931 in Winston-Salem, NC and died September 6, 2007 in Winston-Salem, NC. He married Mary Ann Buie, on November 8, 1953 in Florence, SC. She was born October 19, 1937 in Wilmington, NC and died August 20, 2006 in Winston- Salem, NC.
Child of PERCY THOMAS and LIVING INDIVIDUAL is:
15. ANNIE LAURA7 THOMAS (JOHN HENRY6, JOHN LEE5, ROBERT MASSENBURG4, LEONARD3, DAVID W.2, PETER1) was born August 08, 1912 in Lenoir Co., NC, and died October 11, 1974 in Forsyth Co., NC. She married GEORGE WALLACE HILL. He was born March 27, 1903, and died November 25, 1962 in Forsyth Co., NC.
More About ANNIE LAURA THOMAS:
Burial: Forsyth Mem. Pk., W-Salem, NC
Notes for GEORGE WALLACE HILL:
Records indicated that he registered for Social Security in South Carolina.
Burial: 1962, Forsyth Mem. Park, W- Salem, NC
Child of ANNIE THOMAS and GEORGE HILL is:
The following generations consist of living individuals.
1. Mecklenburg County Tax list 1782,1784,1787.
2. Mecklenburg Co., VA WB 8, 209.
3. Charlotte Armstrong, electronic.
4. Chancery Court, Mecklenburg County, 1818-006.
5. Mecklenburg Co., VA WB 15, 437.
6. Charlotte Pearson Armstrong.
7. Chancery Court, Mecklenburg County, 1818-006.
8. Guardian Bonds, Mecklenburg County, VA, 1835-1851, p. 252.
9. 1850 VA Census.
10. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
11. Rainey.ftw, Date of Import: Dec 6, 2000.
12. Marriage License, Mecklenburg Co., VA.
14. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
16. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
18. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
20. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
22. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
23. Birth Register, Brunwick Co., VA.
25. Brunswick Co., VA Death Register, 1889.
26. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
27. Birth Register, Brunwick Co., VA.
29. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
30. Birth Register, Brunwick Co., VA.
32. Thomas.ged, Date of Import: Dec 25, 1999.
34. Mary A., Hugh, Hazel and Irving Buie, "Personal Communication."
35. Cynthia Thomas, Personal Communication2.